Friday, July 27, 2012

Tyvek "L" shaped enclosures


I have this dream someday to make an archive for cooking items from the 1950s. Mid-century modern culinary library (or something of the sort). Tyvek is a fabulous substance for loose papers and books – its anti-static and protects against wear (side note, try tearing a piece - its impossible). Its also something which can be rescued from recycling and put into use immediately.

Back to my kitchen archive – three items I have are all odd sizes. For this DIY project I salvaged some great pieces of Tyvek, measured a selection of my items and created “L” shaped holders for them; I also identified them on the outside using an archival pen. Note: lots of tyvek is not archival quality and is meant for short-term storage/shipping. It is, however, tear resistant, lightweight, can be sewn, flexible and very strong. It can also be cut to size. Plus its waterproof (which is why I think it will be great for a kitchen archive).










No comments:

Post a Comment