Tuesday, July 24, 2012

Making your own book 'cradle'

I’m not going to lie – I am having a lot of fun with this blog. Everywhere I look, I see inert items wanting to be used. Just the other day, I came across this in our server room; our IT director was all too happy to let me have them. I had plans. For book reinforcements (not just for display purposes, but for everyday reading room use – especially for important historic materials that need spine support). 


Book cradles can be expensive – and they can break easily (if made of plexiglass) – and they are difficult to store (bulky). I propose making a book cradle – but not out of something like cardboard (I worry that could have the same problems as plexiglass – minus expense, of course) but with inexpensive (if you’re lucky, free), inert materials. Yes – I’m talking about Tyvek. And I’m talking about polyfoam. 

The above type of foam can be found packed with computers (shipping material to keep interior components safe). I am advocating (and here demonstrating) to cut them up (tip: food processors don’t work) - cut them into manageable size chunks - and then cut them again (as small as you can).  



Fill them into a tyvek envelope and off you go.

 
And, if you’re feeling fancy, make a cover from some (acceptable) material. I for one, like the tyvek look. I’ve already started using my “cradle” around the house – to keep cookbooks open and near the computer.




No comments:

Post a Comment